Friday, August 24, 2012

... speed of light !

...so what to take, that was the question ? the US Pro Challenge was finishing atop Beaver Creek and what to take? or more exactly, what NOT to take? ...I decided on the "lets' go light scenario"... reasoning was,  I was going to SEE the bike race, not photograph another event... I thought !

...the pickings were plentiful, A65, K-01, OMD-EM5, GX-1 plus a full compliment of lens...and of course you already know, the one I picked...the GX-1, fitted with the 20mm pancake f1.7 prime...and it was jacket pocket-able, with room to spare...oink - oink !!!

...the Jacket was key as I knew I would be standing, squating and walking for many hours, and besides there were plenty of folks carrying their dastardly black Canon and Nikon systems with matching neck straps/braces and insurance health cards hanging on a lanyard from there necks...

Panasonic is touting there new autofocus system as "Speed Of Light"...and that certainly sounds like marketing dung to me...but I wanted to use the GX-1 as sort of a "fast draw" machine, fastest gun in the west...simply raise from the hip, aim, frame and shoot anywhere from 3~5 frames in about a second...it did, it did, and it worked, I ended up shooting something like 600 pix in a few "FUN" hours... "FUN" being the operative word...I watched the DSLR crowd slowly banging their machines to there foreheads, twisting, turning and hanging on to their zooms for dear life...I mean were these folks actually having fun...I think not

...but for every upside, there must be a downside, and the GX-1 for having lightning fast autofocus did  have limited (think none) predictive/tracking autofocus...grrrr ...but ya' know, I worked through it







...bottom line, these new m4/3 machines have autofocus that works near the speed of light...check out the pix at www.ronster.smugmug.com and enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment